Episcopal lay minister Frederick W. Smith was educated in Faribault under the tutelage of Bishop Whipple. Following this training he was in charge of the parish at the White Earth Reservation, where Archdeacon Gilfillan resided and Enmegahbowh was the rector-emeritus.
He and his wife Sophia, spent most of their married years on the White Earth and Red Lake reservations. In 1877 they moved to Red Lake to establish an Episcopal mission there. The church at Red Lake was built in 1880 with $1,200 provided by Henry Whipple. The Smiths served at Red Lake until 1888, when Fred's illness compelled them to leave.
Fred's Father-Kahgahgewegwon , b. about 1820 - d. about 1860
Mother-Ahke Ankemindemoien, b. about 1790 -
Fred's Mother-Omyyowsayquay Omyowochebahquay Omyyowosayquay b. before 1824/1830 -
Father-Baynaysewub, b .before 1805 -
Mother-Dahmayyea, b. Bef 1810