Henry Whipple and Evangeline Marrs Simpson met in Maitland, Florida where both wintered. They married in 1896, and enjoyed five years of extensive travel within Minnesota and around the world. Evangeline is credited with numerous additions and upgrades to the Whipple house, the Cathedral of our Merciful Saviour, and many buildings on the Shattuck-St. Mary's campus.
Whipple died in 1901. In 1910 Evangeline left Minnesota, instructing caretaker Captain William Milligan not to let anyone in her home until she returned. Evangeline never returned to Minnesota, and spent the remainder of her life in Italy doing philanthropic work and setting up boarding schools for war orphans, based on the Faribault Indian model. Evangeline was in the process of returning to Minnesota when she suddenly became ill in London and died in 1930. She is buried in the English Cemetery in Bagni di Lucca, Italy.