About the Collections
Minnesota Historical Society
Approximately 500 American Indian related objects were amassed by Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple and his wives Cornelia and Evangeline. The collection was kept at his residence in Faribault, Minnesota. After Whipple's second wife, Evangeline Marrs Simpson Whipple died in 1930, an estate sale was held at the Bishop's Faribault home on May 25th through June 5th, 1933. The sale was supervised by Alice Best Rogers, a Minneapolis Antiques dealer who obtained or retained a large portion of the collection which was later purchased by the Minnesota Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.) in 1939. The majority of the items and related historic photographs were held, displayed and preserved at the Sibley Historic Site until their transfer to the Minnesota Historical Society by the Sibley House Association of the Minnesota Society of the D.A.R. in 1996. Additional items were also purchased by private individuals at the same estate sale and later donated to the Minnesota Historical Society.
Science Museum of Minnesota
Bishop Henry Whipple amassed a collection of over 500 American Indian objects. The collection was kept in his home study in Faribault, Minnesota, and regularly utilized by the schools Whipple administered: St. Mary's School and Shattuck School. After Whipple’s second wife, Evangeline Simpson Marrs Whipple died in 1930, the objects in the Whipple home were offered for public sale while others remained in the care of the schools. The Science Museum’s collection first was on loan from Shattuck St. Mary’s Schools in 1979. In 2009, the Science Museum embarked upon a five-year agreement with the school to purchase 191 objects we cared for the past 30 years, and to preserve them in perpetuity.