St. Antiapas

In 1863, Madwagaonint asked Bishop Whipple for his assistance in negotiating a more fair treaty for his band at Red Lake and Whipple accompanied him and other Ojibwe leaders to renegotiate another treaty that met their demands. Madwaganonint was eventually baptized by Whipple and later requested that a missionary be sent among his band at Red Lake. The Congregationalist church withdrew their mission and the St. Antiapas Mission was built in 1878. Fred Smith and Samuel Madison were sent as the first missionaries. Madwaganonint is buried in the Episcopal cemetery at Redby on the Red Lake Reservation.

Syndicate content